Administrative information: Chapters
Fifteen regional chapters are associated with the AMS. Many have independent web sites. Their annual programs are announced via the AMS Newsletter, the AMS Announcement Bulletin Board, or their independent web sites. AMS members are enrolled in their regional chapter by default upon joining.
Which chapter covers which region? Click on the map to enlarge.
The AMS Chapter Fund financially supports activities of AMS Chapters. Please follow the guidelines carefully when submitting a funding request.
AMS Chapters elect one representative to AMS Council. The term of this office is three years. Representatives may not be elected to succeed themselves.(By-laws, IV.A.)
AMS Chapters also elect two student members to AMS Council. They are students in doctoral programs in any field of musical scholarship. (Student members are ineligible to participate in voting by the Council.) Student members serve overlapping terms of two years. One student is elected or chosen in each Chapter each year. Representatives may not be elected to succeed themselves. (By-laws, IV.A.2) Student Chapter representatives to AMS Council are eligible for travel subsidy from the AMS office (see the Chapter Fund Guidelines for details). Student Chapter representatives must complete a reimbursement form (available via the Chapter Fund web page) and submit to the appropriate Chapter officer in order to receive AMS travel subsidy.
AMS Chapter administrators are requested to report financial and administrative activities as follows:
- Papers read at Chapter meetings: send details (author, institutional affiliation or city of residence, title of paper, date of meeting) to the AMS office (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible after each meeting takes place. Papers read in the previous academic year are published each February in the AMS Newsletter.
- Annual reports: Financial and administrative data reports are due June 30 each year and may be obtained by the following links:
- AMS Chapter End-of-Year Financial Data Form (xlsx)
- AMS Chapter End-of-Year Administrative Data Form (xlsx)
- AMS Chapter Annual Report template
- (please send all annual reports to Robert Judd.)
- All AMS Chapter officers gather for a breakfast meeting each year at the AMS Annual Meeting, usually on Friday morning.
Chapter secretaries and administrators may request an updated chapter membership list at any time by contacting Katie VanDerMeer.
Send questions and updates regarding AMS Chapters to Katie VanDerMeer at the AMS office.