Welcome to the website of
The Pacific-Southwest Chapter
The American Musicological Society
The Chapter represents members from central and southern California,
southern Nevada, Hawaii, and other Pacific islands.
- The Winter 2017 chapter meeting of the Pacific-Southwest Chapter of the AMS will be held on Saturday, February 18, 2017 at the Claire Trevor School of the Arts at the University of California, Irvine. We welcome abstracts proposing paper topics for the meeting. Papers will be standard issue AMS length (30 minutes plus 15 minutes for questions). Abstracts should be no longer than 350 words, fit on a single 8.5 x 11 page, and provide a clear idea of your methodology and conclusions. The abstract should contain the proposed title, author’s name and institutional affiliation, and a list of the equipment necessary for the presentation.
Please send abstracts to our Vice President, Amy Bauer (email@example.com), by Friday, January 20, 2017.
- The Spring 2016 join chapter meeting of the Pacific-Southwest and Northern California Chapters of the AMS will be held on Saturday and Sunday, April 16–17, 2016 at the Music Center, University of California, Santa Cruz. The call-for-papers deadline is Monday March 7. Click here for the CFP.
- The Pacific Southwest Chapter of the American Musicological Society will hold its Winter chapter meeting on February 20, 2016, hosted by the Music Department at Pomona College, Claremont, CA. The call-for-papers deadline was February 1.
Claremont Lodging Options
Two recommended hotels are close to the meeting location. Unfortunately, at last report
both were full. If you call you might get lucky with a cancellation.
• Casa 425. 425 W. First Street in Claremont. 1/2 mile away.
• Doubletree by Hilton. 555 W. Foothill, Claremont. 1.2 miles away.
Recommended hotels near Claremont:
• Sheraton Fairplex, 601 W. McKinley Ave., Pomona, CA 91768. 909-622-2220.
Rooms from $172. 4 miles away, on the hill above the Los Angeles County
• Doubletree by Hilton Ontario Airport. 222 N. Vineyard Ave., Ontario, CA
91764. 909-937-0900. Rooms from $129.
There are a number of hotels close to
Ontario International Airport, most of which are perfectly nice in a corporate way.
This one has a nice resort-style pool area and we have had good experiences with
it. 6 miles away.
There are lower-cost options in Claremont. These motels on Indian Hill near Interstate
10 are preferable to others including the ones on Foothill Blvd.:
• Motel 6, 840 S. Indian Hill, Claremont, CA 91711. 909-621-4831. Rooms from
$97. 1.5 miles away.
• Claremont Lodge. 736 S. Indian Hill Blvd., Claremont, CA 91711. 909-626-5654.
Rooms from $71. 1.3 miles away.
Pomona College maintains a more extensive list of accomodations, many of them farther
than the ones above.
Visit the Meetings page for the program, driving info, and local arrangements.
- Chapter dues are good for one academic year, reckoned as August 1–July 31, and are set at $15 for regular members, $10 for retirees, and $5 for students.
Chapter dues are vital to supporting our chapter meetings and to underwriting the Ingolf Dahl Award, and render you eligible to vote in chapter elections.
Please go to our Membership page to get started.
Site updated Feb. 11, 2016.