AMS 75 PAYS Subventions
Funded through the generous support of the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation, and the generous contributions of many individual donors, AMS 75 PAYS Subventions provide support up to $5,000 for the publication of first books by scholars in the early stages of their career. The purpose of this subvention is to facilitate the publication of original and significant research in any recognized field of musicology by providing financial support to publishers in order to offset the costs of book production and thereby reduce the retail price of the book. The AMS anticipates awarding nine to eighteen such subventions annually.
Applications should come directly from publishers, in consultation with the author. Applications should be made after the work is complete and readers’ reports and author’s responses are in hand. Books receiving subventions should appear in print no later than twenty-four months after the date of application.
Publishers should send to the Chair of the Review Committee:
- affirmation that the work under consideration is a first book, and that the author has received the Ph.D. in any recognized field of musicology within the past ten years
- a copy of the entire manuscript
- copies of the readers’ reports and author’s responses
- a financial statement that includes the following:
- a breakdown of the costs of publication, showing format, size of print run, and projected costs
- the amount requested from the AMS as a subvention
- the impact of the subvention on the production costs and anticipated retail price of the book
- projected timeline for publication.
All materials, including the manuscript, must be submitted electronically. Contact the AMS office for FTP instructions if necessary.
Materials should be sent to the office of the AMS, [email protected]
All application materials will be treated confidentially by the review committee.
Application deadlines: materials must be received by 15 February and 15 August each year. The review committee will notify applicants of its decision within five months of each application deadline.