The Janet Levy Fund
for Independent Scholars
The Janet Levy Fund supports professional travel and research expenses for independent scholars who are members of the American Musicological Society. The award is open to those who hold the Ph.D. or demonstrate equivalency in scholarly record and are not employed as a full-time faculty member in an institution of higher learning. Those actively seeking employment in academia, present recipients of full-time fellowships, and retirees are not eligible for this grant. No individual may receive a Levy Award more than once in a three-year period.
Kinds of Projects: Examples of projects supported by the Levy Fund include travel to the Annual Meeting of the AMS, to a conference to read a paper or participate in an official capacity, or to archives or research libraries; research expenses; costs related to the reproduction of manuscripts and archival documents; and specialized research materials. Award amounts will range between $500 and $2,000. Proposals are evaluated by a committee of three appointed by the AMS president.
Proposal requirements: Send one copy of each of the following:
- Narrative (500 words maximum) outlining the proposed project and its importance for the applicant's career (be as specific as possible).
- Proposed budget detailing when and how the funds are to be used.
- Curriculum vitae (please include a word on how you are currently making a living).
- One letter of recommendation from a scholar familiar with the applicant's work (to be sent under separate cover directly from the referrer to the AMS).
Deadlines: Send all materials to be received by:
- 3 April 2017 for travel and research to be undertaken between 1 May 2017 and 30 April 2018.
Notification of the award will be made about a month following each deadline. Funds must be spent within one year of the award.
Send application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.