Alvin H. Johnson AMS 50 Dissertation Fellowships
The Society makes available up to three funded dissertation-year fellowships each year. Anyone is eligible to apply who is registered in good standing for a doctorate at a North American university and has completed all formal degree requirements except the dissertation at the time of full application. The fellowships are not intended for support of early stages of research: it is expected that a fellowship recipient’s dissertation will be completed within the fellowship year.
Any submission for a doctoral degree in which the emphasis is on musical scholarship will be eligible.
Competition and Application Procedures
The Society’s president, with confirmation by the Board of Directors, maintains a fellowship committee of at least fifteen respected musicologists from whom three judges, through a system of rotation and replacement, are chosen by the chair of the committee in any one year. Although the membership of the Fellowship Committee will be made public (and is widely representative of fields of study), the individual judges for the competition in any one year are not identified.
Applications must be submitted online via the AMS Web site.
You will be requested to upload the following materials:
- A 150-word project description.
- A current dissertation prospectus of twelve to fifteen pages (c. 3000-4000 words). The prospectus should include a detailed rationale of the project (supported by, but not limited to, an assessment of relevant secondary literature), an overview of each chapter, and a clear statement of progress to date, all written in prose.
- A bibliography of two to three pages citing the most important relevant primary and secondary sources.
- A sample chapter (preferably not an introductory chapter reviewing the literature).
- A curriculum vitae.
You should also arrange for a letter from the registrar or departmental Director of Graduate Studies attesting to ABD (all-but-dissertation) status. Send as an e-mail attachment to: [email protected], or via fax to the AMS office (877-679-7648 or 207-798-4254).
Please note: letters of reference are not required.
- Start your application process early. The first steps create your record. You may return to update and upload files at any point prior to the deadline.
- Check file size limits and edit as necessary
- DO NOT plan to submit less than one day prior to deadline. Upload speeds slow with increased traffic and accidents happen!
AHJ AMS 50 Fellowships are awarded solely on the basis of academic merit. Winners receive a twelve-month stipend, currently set at $21,000. Fellows may elect to accept the award on an honorary or partly honorary basis (thus freeing scarce resources for others). The fellowships are intended for full-time study. An equivalent major award from another source may not normally be held concurrently or consecutively unless the AMS award is accepted on an honorary basis. Fellowships are for one year and are not deferrable or renewable. There are no provisions for the payment of tuition: it is hoped that graduate schools will provide tuition fellowships or waivers.
The winners are selected in the Spring, announced in the August issue of the AMS Newsletter, and given formal recognition at the Annual Meeting and Awards Presentation of the Society.
Applications should be made using the online submission form.
Application Deadline: 5:00 p.m. EST, Monday 15 December 2014.