How to Join the AMS (or renew your membership)
The American Musicological Society is committed to advancing scholarship in the various fields of music through research, learning, and teaching. We also provide communication, outreach, and advocacy for all who are interested in music scholarship. Our 3,400 members come from the U.S. and forty nations around the world. Show your support for our goals, activities, services, and aspirations by joining now!
Membership is according to calendar year.
If you're renewing, you'll be taken to the login screen: after logging in, follow the links for renewal.
Prefer paper? Print this PDF form.
Annual membership includes
- Three issues of the Journal of the American Musicological Society*
- Two issues of the AMS Newsletter*
- The annual AMS Directory
Members can quickly recoup their dues through discounts that form part of AMS membership, including
- Annual meeting registration discounts
- Discounts with the following publishers when purchasing materials:
- Ashgate Publishing
- Cambridge University Press
- Journal of Musicological Research
- MIT Press
- Oxford University Press
- Royal Musical Association (including Musica Britannica)
- University of California Press
- University of Rochester Press / Boydell & Brewer
- Discounts on Music of the United States of America
- Discounts at JSTOR and the Humanities E-Book Project
- Access to the latest issues of the Elgar Society Journal
- Discounts on back issues of the Journal and other AMS publications
*Those who join mid-year receive previous issues of JAMS published in 2017, as well as the year's newsletters and Directory.
|Membership Level||USA & Canada||International|
|Emeritus members must have been regular members for at least ten years and are either over the age of 70 or retired.|
|Low Income membership is a subsidized category intended for those without full time employment and with an annual income under $30,000.|
|Student members must provide proof of eligibility. A copy of your current Student ID must be sent to the AMS offce. Members are eligible for the Student Rate for one seven-year period.|
|Any person may apply for Joint membership with his or her spouse or domestic partner who is a current regular, student, emeritus or life member. Joint members share one copy of the Journal; otherwise, they have the same rights and privileges as regular members. The AMS ID number of the primary member will be necessary to proceed.|
|Sustaining members demonstrate a commitment to support the musicological community in a financial way by paying the equivalent of the full cost of two memberships.|
|Life||see below||see below|
|Life members are regular members in all respects except for the payment of annual dues. Instead, life members shall pay one fixed sum. Life membership is prorated as follows: Those who have held continuous membership for 0 to 9 years: $4,000; for 10 to 19 years: $3,000; for 20 to 29 years: $2,000; for 30 or more years: $1,000. Please contact the AMS office if interested in life membership.|
|75 years and older||$0||$0|
|Members aged 75 years and older have the option of paying zero annual dues.|